Exercise during pregnancy
Congratulations on your pregnancy and wanting to stay active! Regular exercise during pregnancy can reduce back pain, ease constipation, promote healthy weight, decrease risks of preeclampsia and gestational diabetes, strengthen key muscles and helps you lose weight after the baby is born. As long as your doctor hasn’t given you any restrictions, most women can be active their entire pregnancy.
Being active while pregnant means taking into account the changes of your body and addressing safety concerns. I offer the following services to help you with this:
Active Pregnancy Workshops
Are you interested in learning how to safely exercise during pregnancy? Do you know how to protect and strengthen you core? Do you know what to consider immediately postpartum?
Regular exercise during pregnancy has been shown to improve energy, mood, sleep and common pregnancy discomforts such as constipation and swelling. Exercise can help control weight and gestational diabetes, and may shorten labor. Pregnancy is a great time to begin or maintain physical activity. In this 2-hour workshop you will learn exercise to strengthen and protect your core, as well as discuss the following:
- Pregnancy posture
- How changes to the body affect exercise and how exercise affects the body
- How to exercise safely/guidelines
- Diastasis recti (separation of abdominal muscles)
- Pelvic floor strengthening and pelvic stability exercises
- Postpartum expectations and recovery
- Important postpartum body mechanics
- Saturday May 20th from 9:30-11:30 in Northern Liberties $40
8-Week Active Pregnancy Program
Are you pregnant and looking to begin or maintain exercise during pregnancy?
The Active Pregnancy Program will help you commit to being active during pregnancy for the benefit of you and your baby. This program is a comprehensive fitness program that includes cardiovascular exercise, muscle strengthening, core and pelvic floor conditioning, and flexibility. It is designed to safely take you through an exercise progression that takes into account all of the changes your body goes through while pregnant. We will work your entire body using functional exercise, resistance training, Pilates, foam rolling and body-weight exercises. This program is intentionally provided in a group setting to foster the friendship, emotional benefits and learning that comes from socializing with other pregnant women.
*No previous exercise experience necessary. Check with your ob/gyn to make sure you are cleared for exercise.
- Tuesdays 5:45-6:30 pm, 8 weeks, 6/13-8/8 (no class 7/4) Northern Liberties home-based studio $160
Active Pregnancy Consultation (2 sessions)
Do you currently exercise, but need a routine specific to you and your pregnancy?
This option is for women who are already familiar with exercise. The personalized consultation will help reduce your fear of injury and make sure you are incorporating exercises that target key muscles weakened during pregnancy, relieve discomforts and prepare your body for labor and delivery. The Active Pregnancy Consultation includes:
- An in-person session to assess your current level of fitness and discuss your pregnancy discomforts
- A second in-person session to review your personalized program, ensure proper form, and review current exercise guidelines for pregnant women
- Tips to plan ahead for healthy living after baby is born
- The option to purchase a brand new routine for a discounted rate as your body and needs change during pregnancy
Cost: ON SALE! $97.50
Personal and small group training
Personal or small group training is the most customized and inclusive way for you to reach your fitness goals. Personalized training is strategic and takes into account your needs, likes/dislikes, barriers and motivation. To ensure you succeed, I take an integrative approach. We examine your past successes and challenges with nutrition and exercise. You'll complete an activity profile to help us determine where you can easily incorporate more activity that will give you results. We'll also look at the demands of your family life and how that impacts your fitness routine and ways it can enhance your fitness journey. To learn more about what you'll get from training with me, click here.
A typical 60-minute session includes:
- 45-minute customized and comprehensive workout (you'll also receive a workout to do while we're not together)
- 15-minutes to focus on goals, nutrition, challenges, new strategies, successes, opportunities and resources
Support from friends and family is strongly encouraged
I will be there to support you every step of the way, but having the support of family and friends not only makes reaching your goals fun, but it helps you stay committed. As an incentive the full session rate is the same for one person or to workout with up to three others! Workout buddies do not have to be pregnant or have the same goals as you.
$80/session for up to four people
Philadelphia home-based studio in Northern Liberties or your location with additional cost determined by travel time. Ask me about bringing your child.